History

1925

The house in the Esseghemstreet 135 is constructed.

1930

The Magrittes move back to Brussels after a three-year stay in the Paris suburb. They rent the apartment on the ground floor in the Esseghemstreet 135 in Jette.

1954

René and Georgette Magritte leave the apartment in May 1954. The couple moves to the Lambermont Avenue 207 in Schaarbeek.

1954 – 1993

Three more tenants will rent the apartment on the ground Floor of the Esseghemstreet 135.

1967

Death of René Magritte at the Mimosastreet in Schaerbeek. He’s buried in the cemetery of Brussels.

1976

André Garitte meets Georgette Magritte in the Mimosasstreet in Schaarbeek. He will regularly meet her and her friends Louis Scutenaire, Irène Hamoir and collect memories about Magritte and the belgian group of Surrealist.

1986

Georgette Magritte dies. Their furniture and other belongings are sold at auction at Sotheby’s and in the Palace of Fine Arts.

1992

Through a recent photograph, André Garitte discovers that the house in the Esseghemstraat 135 still exists.

1993

Creation of the NGO ‘Musée René Magritte’ and purchase of the painters house : the aim is to open a biographical museum and restore the painters flat.

1993 – 1999

After 6 years of renovation, the René Magritte Museum is officially opened, On July 5th. More than 100 original photos and lot’s of testimonies of people who visited the house at the time were used to restaure the painters flat.

1999

The René Magritte Museum is inaugurated.

2009

The René Magritte Museum celebrates her 10th anniversary.