History

1925

The house at 135 Esseghem Street is constructed.

1930

The Magrittes move back to Brussels after a three-year stay in the Paris suburb. They rent the apartment on the ground floor at 135 Esseghem Street in Jette.

1954

René and Georgette Magritte leave the apartment in May 1954. The couple moves to 207 Lambermont Avenue in Schaerbeek.

1954 – 1993

Three more tenants will rent the apartment on the ground floor of 135 Esseghem Street.

1967

Death of René Magritte in Mimosas Street in Schaerbeek. He’s buried at the cemetery of Schaerbeek.

1976

André Garitte meets Georgette Magritte in Mimosas Street in Schaerbeek. He will regularly meet her and her friends Louis Scutenaire, Irène Hamoir and collect memories about Magritte and the Belgian group of Surrealists.

1986

Georgette Magritte dies. Their furniture and other belongings are sold at an auction at Sotheby’s and in the Palace of Fine Arts.

1992

Through a recent photograph, André Garitte discovers that the house at 135 Esseghem Street still exists.

1993

Creation of the NGO ‘Musée René Magritte’ and purchase of the painter’s house: the aim is to open a biographical museum and restore the painter’s apartment.

1993 – 1999

After 6 years of renovation, the René Magritte Museum is officially opened, on July 5, 1999. More than 100 original photos and numerous testimonies of the people who visited the house at the time were used to restore the painter’s apartment.

1999

The René Magritte Museum is inaugurated.

2009

The René Magritte Museum celebrates its 10th anniversary.